Friday, June 6, 2014

Discovering...

  Many family and friends have asked for updates since we moved to a suburb of Vancouver, Canada one week ago. We live in the upstairs of a house. It's about 2200 square ft, and feels just right for our size family. It's a little dated, but functional and we hope it will feel like home soon. Everyday there has been something new we discover. For these two reasons I have decided to start blogging again! I want a place to keep pictures and record adventures of our time in the Vancouver. Welcome to the new blog Couver Bites (the name went through various unsuccessful stages...what do you think?)
  The most important shout out I want to make at the moment is: The Wilsons are reunited again! Okay, wonderful, right? But, now on to the less obvious and the gooey details. First of all, Canada is beautiful! We saw Ontario last summer at an extended Wilson family reunion, but British Columbia it gorgeous! It's enticing! Funny that, that is what everyone said it would be, and we got sick of hearing it, but wow! I tell ya what. It fits the bill, ladies and gentlemen! There's this point at about mid Oregon, during that long, tedious drive, where your eyes start perking up and by the time you hit Washington, they are watching every tree. Canada, though, on this side of the country, is like a whole new world of gorgeous! There are mountains and beaches in the same place, and so many trees, I think they must number close to how many stars fill the night sky! There are blackberries and Salmon berries that grow naturally, like weeds, everywhere! The air even looks different. 
  Our move was not the most wonderful time of my life. I don't think I've been stressed like that since my college years. I won't go into that. Those that know me, know what it was like. Dave and I both agree we will not plan on being apart for 3 months again, especially with the biggest move we've ever made in tow. Not fun. 
  The trip itself was fine. The kids were great in the car, although it took us nearly 17-19 hours to make the 15 hour drive. We got to the border and had to process my work visa at 11:00 PM. We had to wake up the kids, all smelly from 2 days in the car, and drag them into the customs building. I tried to ignore the stares. We were probably the largest, most tired and kind of cranky family any of those people had seen in a long time, or ever. It didn't really help that the border officers are trained not to be very personal or too friendly either. They just want to get you in and out. Hey, at that hour, that idea was fine by me!
  We got to our house at around 1:00 AM. The first impression I had, stepping across the threshold was...Indian Restaurant. The house seriously smelled like one. We rent from an Indian family, whose extended family lives in many of the surrounding houses. We share a laundry room with and 85-year-old Traditional Indian man in a Turban and beard longer than my hair, who can't speak English, and constantly says, "No problem", while gesturing to the washer and dryer". We sometimes fall asleep thinking we are in India, while being serenaded by the Zither and long held out vocal strains that move up and down in quarter tones. ;) I liked the restaurant smell at first, but after a week, I'm thinking of visiting Bath and Body Works. I wonder if they have one here. Don't get me wrong, the people are very, very nice. The old man gave our daughter a hug when he met her for the first time. But, I guess I'm in a little bit of a culture shock.
  I've spent the majority of the days unpacking, cleaning, trying to locate silverware and spices, and figuring out how people lived before microwaves! I'll need to get one of those soon. I also need a phone, as many of you know. The money is pretty, but I don't have any of it. ;) I need to be added onto Dave's bank account still. What money I did have was used quickly on a Costco run (after I was brave enough to take all four kids out for a spin in the minivan by myself, in a new country where at some parts of the day the right lane of the road is a driving lane and other parts of the day, you're allowed to park in it!)  
  Speaking of driving, in Canada, you can only make left-hand turns on particular roads at certain hours of the day! And by raise of hands, who knows what a blinking green light means?! Needless to say, I just drive slow. 
  Finding food and produce and milk is a whole new world here. Produce is cheap, but you want to use the markets. I will make frequent trips to the U.S. for some things, depending on if it's still worth it after adding about 10% to compensate for the worth of the U.S. dollar compared to the Canadian dollar. We maybe significantly decreasing our dairy intake too. $5.00/gallon!? What!?
  The ward (church group) we are part of is already amazing! I have so many people emailing me and inviting me to things! We had dinner at the Relief Society president's house on Sunday, I was invited to a mom's movie night and saw "Maleficent" on Tuesday night, we attended an "8 is Great" activity for Caleb's age group on Wednesday, and tonight is the Father and Sons camp-out for the boys, so my girls and I are going to another girl's night at the R.S. president's house.
  We live about 5 minutes away from a beautiful nature park (one of many) called Deer Lake Park. We went walking for family night on Monday. We discovered ripe Salmon berries, and all the blackberry bushes that will fill the whole city and area in July, and big black slugs everywhere we stepped! There were wild flowers everywhere and beautiful, evening light on the lake, grasses and trees. Unfortunately I forgot my camera that night. We will post pictures soon, but for now, I must sign off and get some dinner ready. Thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

  1. Leslie, so glad to hear that you all arrived safely though rumpled and tired. You have the makings of an adventuress discovering all the "how to's" of a new city and country and culture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks for the update Leslie! I was hoping to hear the good details (like these) but didn't want to bug you during your unpacking. It takes so much work to get settled again!

    Glad to hear the area and ward are wonderful. Hope the kids can find friends for some extra fun (and free time for you!) over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a fun place to live, I can't wait to see pictures! As for the Indian food smell... You can definitely diffuse doTerra oils to get rid of the smell. There is one called Purify which will clean the air and then you can diffuse any other one for a pretty smell you actually WANT to smell. :) You can do them in a water diffuser or a reed diffuser, or whatever!
    Also, the name.. I like it but it sounds kind of negative like "that bites, man!" I would suggest "Couver Bits"... Like Bits and Pieces... I don't know, just a thought since you asked.
    I'm excited to keep updated about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, thanks! The oils are a great idea! The idea of the "bites" was pretty much the same definition as "bits", like little bites of info, but maybe your bits idea is more understandable. I actually didn't even consider that it may sound negative in that way, so thank for pointing that out. I'll think on it....

      Delete
  4. Hey! Love the blog, especially since I can't reach you by phone! We are thinking of you every day and hoping that all your adventures are pleasant ones! Love and double hugs to the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with Crystal on the Bits vs Bites. lol FYI driving in BC may be different than Utah but you'll get used to it eventually. Just remember each province in Canada is like a state in the US. Even across each province it's different city by city. Hope you find something for the smell quickly since it is such a strong odor (odour in Canada).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I didn't notice the negative connotation with the name of the blog until someone pointed it out. Now, I can't read it name without thinking about it, so I'm changing it. Thanks for the input. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're in Burnaby! My grandparents took us to Deer Lake Park many times. Have a great life there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's WONDERFUL to hear these details! And I enjoyed the personality that came through in your writing. Ha ha! "Green blinking lights!? What? I'm thinking and praying for you and hoping you begin to relax and enjoy your new life there! Love ya
    P.S. So jealous of the blackberries!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like so much fun! I completely understand the stress of 3 months apart. Tom and I have had to do that a couple times in our marriage as well as a few overseas moves with little kiddos. You'll do great! It's stressful at times but just look at all the adventures you're having!

    I had to laugh at your description of driving! It was interesting getting used to driving in England on the wrong side of the road but even crazier than that was Sicily! Italians are funny drivers; yelling out the car window, one hand on the steering wheel, one hand one the horn, one hand in the air... of wait that's 3 hands...haha, you see my point! Fun times. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't realize it didn't say my name... Three Gems = Cyrena ☺

      Delete